Sh-K-Boom/Ghostlight has been nice enough to send me the new Queen of the Mist Original Cast Recording CD and while I missed the original Off-Broadway run by Transport Group, I'm loving the fact that I get to experience Mary Testa's brassy and bold leading turn in Michael John LaChiusa's new musical. I'll have a full review coming soon, but I get to share the OCR experience, as I'm giving away a copy of the Queen of the Mist OCR CD to 2 lucky readers!
QUEEN OF THE MIST features music and lyrics by five-time Tony nominee Michael John LaChiusa (The Wild Party, Marie Christine, Hello Again). The show, originally commissioned and produced by Transport Group, received the 2012 Outer Critics Circle Award for Outstanding New Off-Broadway Musical. The recording was made possible with generous support from The Shen Family Foundation.
QUEEN OF THE MIST’s cast recording features performances by original cast members D.C. Anderson, Stanley Bahorek, Theresa McCarthy, Julia Murney, Andrew Samonsky, Tally Sessions and Mary Testa. Queen of the Mist was directed by five-time Drama Desk nominee Jack Cummings III (Hello Again, See Rock City & Other Destinations, The Boys in the Band). Orchestrations are by Tony Award winner Michael Starobin. The album was produced by Joel Moss, Kurt Deutsch and Michael John LaChiusa.
Based on an astounding and outrageous true story, two-time Tony nominee Mary Testa stars in QUEEN OF THE MIST as Anna Edson Taylor, who, in 1901 at the age of 63, set out to be the first woman to shoot Niagara Falls in a barrel of her own design. Navigating both the treacherous Falls and a fickle public with a ravenous appetite for sensationalism, this unconventional heroine vies for her legacy in a world clamoring with swindling managers, assassins, revolutionaries, moralizing family, anarchists and activists. Convinced that there is greatness in her and determined not to live as ordinary, she sets out to battle her fear and tempt her fate.
With a soaring score that incorporates turn of the century themes with LaChiusa’s signature complexity and insight, QUEEN OF THE MIST is the story of a single great fall, and how one woman risked death so that she could live. QUEEN OF THE MIST continues the long collaboration between Transport Group and Mr. LaChiusa, which includes the critically acclaimed Drama Desk-nominated productions of First Lady Suite and Hello Again.
To enter the contest:
- Email me at tapeworthycontest at gmail dot com
- Please subject the email: QUEEN OF THE MIST CONTEST and please include your Name, Email and full mailing address including City and State or Province (no P.O. Boxes).
- Answer the question: What other Michael John LaChiusa musical is available in Sh-K-Boom/Ghostlight's CD catalogue? (there may be more than one correct answer).
- For a BONUS Entry: Share the contest on twitter and include your twitter handle and twitter post in the email.
- For a BONUS Entry: Share the contest on Facebook on Public setting and include a link to your Facebook page in the email.
- Contest closes at 11:59pm EST on Thursday, August 21st 2012. Winner will be randomly picked from all entries received.
- Tapeworthy is not responsible for the prize. Prize will be mailed directly to the winner by Sh-K-Boom Records/Ghostlight Records.
Prize has no monetary value.
- Only two winners will be chosen by random draw (using random.org) from all entries.
Only winners will be contacted.
Vance at http://tapeworthy.blogspot.com
More After the Jump...