Tuesday, May 12, 2009

American Idol - I'm Just Going To Put This In The Title: Put the Go in Gokey

American Idol - Top 3 - Performance Night - Theme: Judges Picks, Singers Picks

First off: Dial 1-866-IDOLS-02 / 05 /08 for KRIS!!!

Okay, only ONE MORE WEEK TO GO!!!

One more week until Glee's sneak preview following Idol (what did you think I was going to say?) (and Linz went to the premiere last night and LOVED IT). Next Tuesday May 19th at 9pm!!! OMG!!! I can't WAIT!!!

Oh yeah, in the meantime, we've got this "contest" to finish. One that's so rigged for Adam to win (seriously, just crown him already cause I don't think I could take the judges slobbering anymore), that I think I'm now only watching for 3 reasons (other than Kris Allen):

1) I've still got 2 of my 3 picks left in the pool I'm in (and still currently in 3rd place!!! Lord no one better sing any more Stevie Wonder, Celine or Whitney or I'm screwed)

2) So that I can watch this season's awesome Idolatry videos with Michael Slezak and company (Kristen Baldwin is now a STAR!).

3) And so that I can read my favorite Idol buddy bloggers RJ and DameJames whose bitchiness knows no bounds! And that's awesome! (And Joe, but he writes it in the pool blog above or his own site)

So at this point, the real race is for number 2, and obviously, Kris Allen deserves it, but Danny Gokey is like the devil incarnate and he's just unstoppable. I picture Tom Hanks chasing him around the world trying to stop the screeching. Seriously, as Kristen Baldwin (the slap happy EW columnist star coined), it's time to put the GO in GOKEY. (Allison? This is for you! (Fist pump to the heart!))

Oh, and before we get to the actual singing (or screaming for Danny and Adam), I've got to mention that they have a clip with Carrie Underwood in Africa. Help the poor and suffering yada yada... the important thing is THEY USED MY FAVORITE SONG FROM THIS YEAR. The current Canadian hit remake "Africa" by Karl Wolf. So has it finally hit the States? I'm guessing after tonight, it will! (Seriously, I LOVE IT. I'm always bopping to it in my car, yeah, that's me!)

Danny Gokey
28 years old
Home: Milwaukee, WI
Audition: Kansas City, MO
Judges (Paula's) Song Pick: "Dance Little Sister" (by Terrence Trent Darby)

Grade: C

While I haven't been loving Danny's song picks, this was even worse than usual. Wait. That's a good thing! Oh, maybe the judges DO have a plan! The song was boring and Danny yelled it like normal and it sounded grating and groan-inducing.



Kris Allen
23 years old
Home: Conway, AR
Audition: Louisville, KY
Judges (Randy and Kara's) Song Pick: "Apologize" (by Ryan Tedder, made famous by OneRepublic)

Grade: B+

It's a perfect song for Kris, but Kris' best attribute is to take songs no one would think he could pull off, and make it his own. So the judges were pretty sneaky with this because it's actually a difficult song, and the way he would sing it is exactly the same way OneRepublic did. What a crock. I hate the judges this year.

Kris? I love you. Mwah!



Adam Lambert
26 years old
Home: Los Angeles, CA
Audition: San Francisco, CA
Judges (Simon's) Song Pick: "One" (by U2)

Grade: A for the first half, B for the second half

Danny gets TTD? Kris gets OneRepublic? and Adam gets U2? Stacked deck anybody?

Adam had me until he started screaming again which apparently constitutes as amazing singing this year because it's fresh and new (uh, no it's not, it's retro 80's style and I know, apparently it's back, even the Tony awards are all about it this year but that doesn't mean it's actually GOOD).



Danny Gokey
28 years old
Home: Milwaukee, WI
Audition: Kansas City, MO
Danny's Song Pick: "You Are So Beautiful" (by Billy Preston, Bruce Fisher, made famous by Joe Cocker)

Grade: B+

You should have seen how fast my eyes rolled when he announced this song. My eyes still hurt for rolling back so fast and far back. Ow. Okay, it was better than his first song at least because he was screaming less and let his regular register sing a bit, and you forget, it's actually quite nice sometimes, at least until he wants to start showing off again and starts yelling, luckily, there aren't that many parts to do that here so it sort of saved him. Still, I hope that was the last we've seen from him. Goodbye.



Kris Allen
23 years old
Home: Conway, AR
Audition: Louisville, KY
Kris' Song Pick: "Heartless" (by Kanye West, Ernest Wilson, Scott Mescudi, M. Jones, made famous by Kanye West)

Grade: A

Okay, points off for picking Kanye West (take a quiz to see what rapper YOU are? Seriously, hilarious) but big points for picking something contemporary and new. And then turning it SO AWAY from Kanye and totally making it his own. Who would have thought a white boy from Arkansas would be the one to wipe out Kanye from his own perch? Awesome!!!



Adam Lambert
26 years old
Home: Los Angeles, CA
Audition: San Francisco, CA
Adam's Song Pick: "Cryin'" (by Steven Tyler, Joe Perry, Taylor Rhodes, made famous by Aerosmith)

Grade: C

Again, people who love Adam, will love this. The rest of us have gone deaf and have our pinky fingers in our ears trying to itch it out and possibly have our auditory facilities functioning again.

I thought he screamed the ENTIRE THING. And not even in tune this time, which is what he's "famous" for.



The Final Round Up:

Best of the Night: Kris Allen's "Heartless"
Worst of the Night: Danny Gokey for existing

Going Home: Danny Go Already Gokey. Or else.


For more on American Idol:
Click here for the most recent posts.
Season 8:
Top 2 Performance
Top 3 Performance, Top 3 Results
Top 4 Performance, Top 4 Results
Top 5 Performance, Top 5 Results
Top 6 + Matt (Top 7 Redux) Performance, Top 7 Redux Results
Top 7 Performance, Top 7 Results
Top 8 Performance, Top 8 Results
Top 9 Performance
Top 10 Performance
Top 12 Performance, Top 12 Results
Top 13 Performance, Top 13 Results
Top 36:
Group 1, Group 2, Group 3
Wild Card, Wild Card Results
Pre-Top 36:
Who Are You Going To Vote For?
Handicapping the Alleged American Idols

Thanks to Rickey for the videos!
Vance at http://tapeworthy.blogspot.com

2 comments:

RJ said...

I missed tonight, but I watched Kris' performances online. If he isn't in the final 2, this show is dead to me.

Vance said...

Okay, I think I fixed it. Hehe...