Sunday, March 25, 2007

The Wind That Shakes The Barley - Movie Review (Sort of)

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE???


Okay, I don't really know much about the IRA and the struggles of the Irish against the Brits, but seriously? WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE???

Cillian Murphy (Damien, above left) is always quite good but the standout was Padraic Delaney as Tommy (above right), as Damien's mate who fights side by side for the Irish struggle but things turn differently when the peace resolution is proposed.

Parts of the film were too long but the ending is quite unsettling (though most of the film is unsettling so at that point, you're just exhausted but the ending still is not to be missed).

While I'm not sure if it is a great film (though I have a feeling this film will linger with me as time goes by), it won the Palm D'Or prize at last years Cannes.

The film is directed by Ken Loach who made the really interesting film Sweet Sixteen, but another difficulty with The Wind That Shakes The Barley is that like Sweet Sixteen, the accents are so authentic that I can barely understand the dialogue a quarter of the time, and would be aided well by subtitles on a DVD (which is how I watched Sweet Sixteen. Seriously, you try that movie without it and understand and I will be amazed).

Right now: 8/10 or B, maybe B+ though I reserve to change my mind.

2 comments:

g.m.s. said...

yes, you must have certainly missed some of the dialogue as Teddy (not Tommy) was Damien's brother in the film (not mate.)

Vance said...

Oh god. that makes the ending even more sad. Yeah, there were whole passages I was like. WHAT? What did he say? I could have used subtitles. haha... So I think I would have liked the movie more if I actually HEARD and understood the whole thing!